Saturday, August 29, 2009

Twin Peaks, Season 2 Episode 16 (or episode 23)

By Jill Duffy, girl reporter

I think what bothers me most about the second season of Twin Peaks is how 80 percent of the episodes are pretty much soap opera drama crap. The openers are often, but not uniformly, strong in some way, be they terrifying or intriguing, and punctuated with a wry humor. Sometimes the humor almost reminds me of Monty Python in that it doesn’t really make sense, but it’s the absurdity and uncomfortable-ness that make it funny.

Then the all through the middle of the show, who cares what’s happening? For example, I can’t even follow all the ins and outs of what’s happening with Thomas Eckhardt, Josie, Andrew Packard, Catherine, and so on and so forth. I don’t know who is evil anymore (though at the end of this episode, I do!).

There’s ongoing drama with James and Donna. Do they really love each other? “Why doesn’t he love me more?” she always seems to be thinking. What is her problem? I have since gone and found pictures of Lara Flynn Boyle in the present day, and let’s just say it’s not pretty. Seeing how she turned out, I keep now reading an undercurrent of desperation in her, even as a character. I guess the strain between Donna and James is supposed to be sad and sappy, but it’s not. Let’s move on.



Ben Horne was evil, then he went crazy, and now he’s a different sort of crazy, a reformed-crazy crazy, like a born-again hippie. He now wants to save weasels, which is also a way for him to sabotage the Ghostwood development project.

But then, at the end of the show, more stuff happens in that Josie-Catherine-Andrew-Truman debacle and the next thing you know, Josie is possessed by Bob and when the show ends, she is trapped in wood.



I assure you, there are no typos in that previous sentence. Josie becomes a prisoner of wood, like felled trees made into furniture. Yeah… What?

No comments: