Thursday, September 04, 2008

Free Form Comments

Say whatever you want to in the comments to this post -- random, off topic thoughts, ideas, suggestions, questions, recommendations, criticisms (which can be anonymous), surveys, introductions if you have never commented before, personal news, self-promotion, requests to be added to the blog roll and so on. If a week goes by and I have failed to add you to the blog roll TELL ME TO DO IT AGAIN, and KEEP TELLING ME UNTIL IT GETS DONE. I can be lazy about updating the non-post parts of this site. Remember these comments can be directed at all the readers, not just me.

ALSO. You can use this space to re-ask me questions you asked me before that I failed to answer because I was too busy (but now might not be). That is often the reason I fail to get back to people, and on a blog, after a few days, the comments thread dies and I just kind of forget about it. Let's use this space to fix that, because it does need to be fixed; I look like a jackass sometimes, leaving people hanging. I will TRY to respond to any questions here.

AND you can use this space to comment on posts that are old enough that no one is reading the comments threads anymore. For example, if you thought of a great quote for the great quote commonplace book, but now no one is reading that, you could put it here.You do not have to have a blogger account or gmail account to post a comment -- you can write a comment, write your name at the bottom of your comment like an e mail, and then post using the "anonymous" option.

WRITING FOR THIS BLOG. If you think your free form comment here might be better as its own post, but you do not want it to be public yet, email it to me. My email address is available on my blogger profile page. If I think it will work on this site, your post will be published here with your name in the title of the post. You can propose what you will, I am always looking for reviews of games, tv, movies, music and books.

If you think what you have to say -- new topic or comment on an existing topic -- would be better to hear than to read, use the CALL ME button on the toolbar on the right.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had an idea for a choice for my Comparative Analysis paper:

The Dark Knight Vs Boondock Saints.

I was thinking of themes of Vigialantism, crossing lines, justice etc.

What do you guys think?

(The problem is that, given the popularity of these two movies among college freshman, I might end up with 70 of these... and inevitably the first two will be brilliant and the rest will miss the point.)

Jason said...

Hey Scott -- I actually had a thought recently about your call for suggestions for this assignment. I figured it was far too late to bring it up, but since you've brought up the topic again ...

"School of Rock"/"Galaxy Quest" -- examinations of the ability of art to inspire, and the feedback effect when an artist learns that he has created inspiration (both Jack Black and the GQ actors are given new strength when they realize what a profound effect their work has had on others). Both conveyed in what are, ostensibly, very conventional textbook stories.

frank said...

Hi, Geoff. Love, love, love the blog.

I recently tried my hand at blogging and since you pretty much have to bring something really special to the table these days, I tried this:a blog about one comic. The New Teen Titans #38. I ran out f steam after the third entry, though. I figure I'm not the right guy, or that wasn't the right comic. I might go back to the idea in the future, though...

Your thoughts? Do you think someone could do something similar? What would it take?

Coligo said...

In case anyone wanted to read my miniature musings about the lack of female led music in Rock Band 2 (and similar games) check out Helen of Troy Does Countertop Writings. There are some other fun posts on there too.

Geoff Klock said...

Frank: fascinating. This poet named I think Jeremy Pryne wrote a book length discussion of a Shakespeare Sonnet -- that is a whole book about 14 lines. So I guess it is possible.

Now as a series of guest posts...

but you would have to convince me it was interesting. :)

Anonymous said...

I once heard a story about a guy who wrote a whole doctorial dissertation about a single line in Moby Dick that refered to the whale as "The great soiled fish of the sea" only to discover that his copy had misprint and should have read "the great COILED fish of the sea"

laseraw said...

the photo that accompanies this newsbit is outstanding (the news r interesting too)

http://smokyland.blogspot.com/2008/09/mr-moore-defends-rational-thought.html

it'd be great to hear moore's speech.