Saturday, February 23, 2008

VOX POPULI

There is a button on the right toolbar that says CALL ME in big friendly CitiBank letters. You click it and it rolls over, prompting you to enter your name and your phone number, and to click a button that says "Call Me." Do that and it calls the number you put in immediately. When you pick up that phone, you hear my name and a brief recorded message, then you leave me a voicemail. I get the voicemail on my computer and I can then post it on the blog with an embeded audio-player for everyone to hear. You can also, I suppose, call me just to tell me something (though in that case you would probably be better off emailing me). I tried having the website call me to try it out. Here is the result:



There are two main things I can see using this for:

I can call myself whenever I want to and essentially do short audio-blogs.

You can call me to introduce a topic or respond to a topic; then I can either embed the player in a post as its own topic (creating an audio-guest blog), or I can do a kind of voicemail roundup however often I need to, introducing each audio clip.

This may be quite silly, but it seems like it could be fun.

5 comments:

Geoff Klock said...

I had the idea that people could call and leave messages about posts and I could embed the voicemails here, but the little box is having problems with the code, so that is not going to work.

brad said...

This is amazing Geoff! Since you can't embed the audio in the comment section, maybe you can add a weekly post with all of that week's messages.

Geoff Klock said...

That is exactly what I going to do. A voicemail roundup however often I need one.

Anonymous said...

This is your clever, Batman-like way of flushing out which one of us is Geoff Schlock, isn't it?

Geoff Klock said...

Damn right it is.

:)