Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Free Form Comments

Say whatever you want to in the comments to this post -- random, off topic thoughts, ideas, suggestions, questions, recommendations, criticisms (which can be anonymous), surveys, introductions if you have never commented before, personal news, self-promotion, requests to be added to the blog roll and so on. If I forget, remind me. Remember these comments can be directed at all the readers, not just me.

ALSO. You can use this space to re-ask me questions you asked me before that I failed to answer because I was too busy.

AND you can use this space to comment on posts that are old enough that no one is reading the comments threads anymore.

You do not have to have a blogger account or gmail account to post a comment -- you can write a comment, write your name at the bottom of your comment like an e mail, and then post using the "anonymous" option.

WRITING FOR THIS BLOG. If I see a big free form comment that deserves more attention, I will pull it and make it its own post, with a label on the post and on the sidebar that will always link to all the posts you write for this blog. I am always looking for reviews of games, tv, movies, music and books.

8 comments:

finsof72 said...

The more I watch 2005's King Kong the more I think Jack Black can actually act, he just chooses not to most of the time.

Christian O. said...

Speaking of Jack Black:

BRÜTAL LEGEND.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM5lMHbq9j8

I've sung the praise of Tim Schafer before, so I'll just stick with that video.

finsof72 said...

I've been hearing about that game forever. Unfortunatley, I'm not too huge on video games. Regardless, I think Jack Black is a lot more dynamic than he's really given credit for, and unfortunatley for him his only real chance to test the waters with that theory was 'King Kong,' (though I also think he was in a romance movie, The Holiday? But I haven't been coerced into seeing that yet).

We were watching old Dracula movies in class the other day and I was daydreaming about what I would do if I ever had a chance (aka the money) to make my own iteration, and I know it sounds crazy, but I think I'd cast Jack Black as Harker.

Also, one of my dream projects is to have my own iteration of 'The Little Shop of Horrors,' (I <3 adaptations) with Jack Black as Seymour.

Give him a chance, Hollywood. It might also help if he took more serious jobs once in awhile...

sexy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jason said...

Jack Black is an excellent character actor, no question.

He had a great turn in that Nicole Kidman movie a few years ago ... "Muriel at the Wedding," was it called?

James said...

Jason: Margot. You might be conflating with Muriel because of Ms. Kidman's Antipodean origins?

Another vote here for Jack Black's acting chops. If he could only slim down/buff up, he'd be great for the lead in the movie of Jeff Smith's RASL. He was indeed in The Holiday: it was putrid, partly because all the screen-time goes to the smug Cameron Diaz/Jude Law pairing, as opposed to the potentially sweet Jack Black/Kate Winslet.

Christian O. said...

Apparently Dollhouse has been cancelled. Surprising no one. For once I'm not that sad about losing a Whedon show. I could barely get through the first episode.

Christian O. said...

Finally saw No Country for Old Men and really enjoyed it. Funny that, while the entropy is constant in the movie, the most altruistic and "nice" characters are teenagers and children. (After the showdown, after the car crash (which, of course, is Chekov's "Gunned", when Llewylen is asked if he has been in a car accident by one of the youth he buys the jacket from.)

Anyone ever write about the cyclical nature, that's put on display in the movie (haven't read the book)? There's nummerous reference to linearity, but every theme and incident are callbacks to previous scene or old characters' history. It's not a historically linear perspective that's examined here.

Entropy is a constant. Things repeat themselves. The setting might be "modern," but everything in the story is taken from an older time.