Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Free Form Comments

Say whatever you want to in the comments to this post -- random, off topic thoughts, ideas, suggestions, questions, recommendations, criticisms (which can be anonymous), surveys, introductions if you have never commented before, personal news, self-promotion, requests to be added to the blog roll and so on. If I forget, remind me. Remember these comments can be directed at all the readers, not just me.

ALSO. You can use this space to re-ask me questions you asked me before that I failed to answer because I was too busy.

AND you can use this space to comment on posts that are old enough that no one is reading the comments threads anymore.

You do not have to have a blogger account or gmail account to post a comment -- you can write a comment, write your name at the bottom of your comment like an e mail, and then post using the "anonymous" option.

WRITING FOR THIS BLOG. If I see a big free form comment that deserves more attention, I will pull it and make it its own post, with a label on the post and on the sidebar that will always link to all the posts you write for this blog. I am always looking for reviews of games, tv, movies, music, books and iPhone apps.

10 comments:

Christian O. said...

I've not wanted a game so badly as I want Mass Effect 2 in years. It's like I'm 12 again.

It's basically Star Wars filtered through Star Trek with a dash of Lovecraft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLhptv1yYMU

Yeah, it's probably a bit stupid, but there's just something so enticing about it. And the choice system Bioware has developed for it is pretty exceptional. A bit more than your average "Save the Puppy/Eat the Puppy" options.

deepfix said...

how is having to know the convoluted history/continuity of the modern superhero comic book in order to get the most satisfaction and understanding any different from the knowledge needed to read Eliot on the same level?

Geoff Klock said...

Deepflix -- no different!

deepfix said...

Just a thought I had why walking from the bus stop to work this morning.

Next question:
Is the reliance upon a proper understanding of the classical references to understand Eliot's "thesis" something to be lauded or scorned?

deepfix said...

that has to be the worst phrased question known to man. There's a million white mice laughing at me as we speak.

plok said...

"how is having to know the convoluted history/continuity of the modern superhero comic book in order to get the most satisfaction and understanding any different from the knowledge needed to read Eliot on the same level?"

It's different in that Eliot's demands on the reader are even more unconscionable!

Heh. I always say every discipline's got its hazing ritual. "The Waste Land" is ours. Of course once you finally get through it, you can read it for fun: with your hard-earned skills.

Not sure comics give you that big of an eventual reward, though.

My two cents!

Anonymous said...

Geoff: Very happy to read that you're enjoying Scott Pilgrim. (The description "should be too twee for my taste" is somehow perfect.) Any plans to expand your thoughts in a blog post or two?

Geoff Klock said...

Anon -- I thought about it but then thought that maybe I do not have that much to say about it. I just sort of think it is really cute and it makes me happy. I may harass Neil about it in a formal way and then print that.

neilshyminsky said...

I've made a couple of posts about Scott Pilgrim on my blog, though nothing too detailed. I also 'interviewed' Bryan Lee O'Malley on Comicboards after the first book came out, way back when. And I say 'interview' because it was very awkward and vaguely hostile - less an exchange and more me asking questions and BLO deciding to mock some and completely disregard others. (I just left out the most discomforting exchanges.) So I just wanted to be done with the thing, and it probably shows.

But I seem to be one of very few people who isn't absolutely in love with it at this point - I'd be interested in doing some sort of point-counterpoint with someone who can't get enough of SP, but I think that by my lonesome I might get too defensive and focus entirely on what I dislike, to the extent that I entirely forget that I still like a great deal of it.

Cease said...

I find the T.S. Eliot reference inspiring; I'll try to share how, soon.
Plok, I read the Gerber columns again for the third time last week. They teach...something. They're fun to picture,too---written w/verve.
deep--you'd think the historicity problem would open the door for a really sharp new comic (or better, a pair of them). Somewhere on the other side of the Economy from Hell await new fans. I miss the grocery store option :-)
In honor of our pop culture commentary http://ceaseill.blogspot.com/2010/01/king-machine-song-in-middle-of-night.html?spref=fb