Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Free Form Comments

Say whatever you want to in the comments to this post -- random, off topic thoughts, ideas, suggestions, questions, recommendations, criticisms (which can be anonymous), surveys, introductions if you have never commented before, personal news, self-promotion, requests to be added to the blog roll and so on. If I forget, remind me. Remember these comments can be directed at all the readers, not just me.

ALSO. You can use this space to re-ask me questions you asked me before that I failed to answer because I was too busy.

AND you can use this space to comment on posts that are old enough that no one is reading the comments threads anymore.

You do not have to have a blogger account or gmail account to post a comment -- you can write a comment, write your name at the bottom of your comment like an e mail, and then post using the "anonymous" option.

WRITING FOR THIS BLOG. If I see a big free form comment that deserves more attention, I will pull it and make it its own post, with a label on the post and on the sidebar that will always link to all the posts you write for this blog. I am always looking for reviews of games, tv, movies, music and books.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

x-men noir? skimmed through at borders. it seems interesting if not riveting.

It replaces discussions of "mutant genetics" with "criminal eugenics".

Gordon Harries said...

Yeah, I flicked thru X-Men Noir and was pleasantly surprised to see it was written by someone who, evidently, got crime fiction (as opposed to, you know, ‘It’s the X-men crossed with The Maltese Falcon! Logan is Sam Spade, Cyclops is the dead partner he didn’t like, Jean Grey is the floozy caught between them!’) but ultimately couldn’t justify the £2.85 price tag.

(I mean, there’s this great used book store by my house and I routinely buy books for cheaper than that. As a starving academic, just in terms of pound-for-pound entertainment value it’d have to be a profoundly great 22 page comic book to get me to opt for it.)

hcduvall said...

I read that Patrick McGoohan died today. So close to the remake pf the Prisoner no less, I'd have liked to see him pop in for that.

If anyone here has never seen The Prisoner, they should try it out, all the first series episodes are online now.

Christian O. said...

So, Geoff, fan of the Venture Bros.?


Any smart thoughts on the series, everyone? ;)

Aside from being the story of the Death of the "Future." And Failure. Glorious, glorious failure.


BTW Has everyone here seen the ISB review of the latest Tarot by Jim Balent? If not, then: "Samantha Brown! You have to get out of here! Your vagina is haunted!"

nicholas reed said...

I have a couple blogs half-written about The Venture Brothers and "failure" I hope to eventually finish. But I think I'm waiting 'til the third series comes out on DVD in March to do so.

Still, it's one of the best shows on television.

Christian O. said...

I just spent the last couple of hours watching the first episodes of Season 2, and I'm amazed at how many jokes I missed on the first round.

Too bad I have to import Region 4 discs to watch it, since it's not released in Europe at all.

Marc Caputo said...

Paul Blart, Mall Cop? Why NOT? It sucks that we who are capable of having high-level discourse on all things have to somewhat fum-faw and justify watching movies that look FUNNY. Will it be great? I don't know. Do I want to see it? Oh, hell yeah. We're just outside the 20th anniversary of Die Hard, which became the blueprint (or the Xerox toner cartridge) for action films immediately. We've had parodies, but his looks like something else - especially since I heard the strains of Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" (see? We ARE smart!) in the trailer - a comedy remix of an action classic.

James said...

Something about that "Name, Occupation" naming convention makes me want to barf.

Marc Caputo said...

And I would say that if you haven't seen "Deuce Bigalow, Male Gigolo", then you are...well, you're not missing much, but I laughed a lot.

James said...

There you go, there's another. I laughed a bit at that movie, so nothing against the contents, but it's the titling equivalent of pseudo-ironic portentous movie trailer narration. Not funny. Hate. it.

James said...

Haven't seen the Paul Blart trailer: does it, by any chance, employ a pseudo-ironic portentous narration? Bet it does.

James said...

Okay, YouTube'd it, it doesn't. Foiled.

But how many times do they wanna use that "drop the soundtrack out because THIS is FUNNY" move? Jeez.

Okay, and that's my last comment, promise.

Marc Caputo said...

Actually, it doesn't (I think) but it does have the obligatory Kal Penn lookalike "dood"