Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Free Form Comments

Say whatever you want to in the comments to this post -- random, off topic thoughts, ideas, suggestions, questions, recommendations, criticisms (which can be anonymous), surveys, introductions if you have never commented before, personal news, self-promotion, requests to be added to the blog roll and so on. If I forget, remind me. Remember these comments can be directed at all the readers, not just me.

ALSO. You can use this space to re-ask me questions you asked me before that I failed to answer because I was too busy.

AND you can use this space to comment on posts that are old enough that no one is reading the comments threads anymore.

You do not have to have a blogger account or gmail account to post a comment -- you can write a comment, write your name at the bottom of your comment like an e mail, and then post using the "anonymous" option.

WRITING FOR THIS BLOG. If I see a big free form comment that deserves more attention, I will pull it and make it its own post, with a label on the post and on the sidebar that will always link to all the posts you write for this blog. I am always looking for reviews of games, tv, movies, music, books and iPhone apps.

4 comments:

scottmcdarmont said...

Ok, so about a year ago, the thought crossed my mind that Santa Claus: The Movie (the one with Dudley Moore and John Lithgow from the mid '80s), reminded me a lot of the first Superman movie. The structure of the story, the relative unkown as the lead but the 'all star' supporting cast. Then, just the other day, I looked it up and discoverd that the Salkinds, the father son producer team behind the first three Superman movies, had also produced this movie.

Somehow, I can see the two of them sitting around smoking cigars, hollywood-producer cliche style and saying, "Hey, you remember what we did with Superman? Let's do it with Santa Klaus!"

Has anyone else noticed this before? I'm seriously considering offering this as a choice for my comparative analysis paper next year.... not too mention, both Superman and Santa Claus live at the North Pole, has anyone ever done a story with them as neighbors? Somebody get Grant Morrison on this... or maybe Frank Miller....

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
scottmcdarmont said...

Just finished reading the first volume of Miligan/Bachalo's Shade-The Changing Man. Pretty good stuff, thinking about getting the second volume. Anybody else read this?

James said...

scott - I've read a fair bit of Shade, as it was a gap in my Chris Bachalo reading. I didn't really get into the early issues - they're drawn in a kind of pre-Vertigo house-style - unrecognisable as Bachalo - and the writing didn't grab me. (It's not bad, it's just not why I was there, you know?) It starts looking like Bachalo as we know him around #21, I think. (Shortly after which he breaks for the first Death mini, and I do too, until he makes a triumphant return in #33, the first Vertigo-proper installment).

Story-wise, there's 2 arcs I'd say are FOR THE AGES as it were, and I think they'll end up being trades 7 and 8 or 8 and 9. So look forward to that! (I'll probably buy those). I haven't read beyond #50, but I gather a fair few fans think the series should have ended there. (It doesn't go on a hell of a lot longer, I don't think.)