At the suggestion of Mitch, here are my top ten favorite movie quotes in no particular order. I limited myself to only one per movie, since I fear more than a few of my favorite lines might be from the same film. Most of these quotations were found by going to IMDB.com, looking up my favorite films and clicking "quotes" -- I have a feeling this list is skewed in a weird way because of that and that I have forgotten my actual favorite movie quotes. But here goes.
1. "Domo." -- Kill Bill. [I love this one because The Bride meets Hatori Hanzo and says "domo" which leads to a whole conversation about Japanese -- it is one of the few words she knows; it turns out she knows a lot more, and knows who this Sushi chief really is. In the end she convinces him to make her a sword, and the sequence closes as it opens, with the word "Domo" -- except it has gone from being a mere word out of a tourist phrasebook to signifying the deepest kind of human connection. I cannot believe Fraction says Kill Bill vol 1 has no heart. I have an anxiety-of-influence-o-meter and he is way in the red.]
2. "They all have husbands and wives and children and houses and dogs, and, you know, they've all made themselves a part of something and they can talk about what they do. What am I gonna say? 'I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork. How've you been?'" -- Grosse Point Blank
3. "It's the truth that you should never trust anybody who wears a bow tie. Cravat's supposed to point down to accentuate the genitals. Why'd you wanna trust somebody whose tie points out to accentuate his ears?" -- State and Main
4. "Time's up! What do we have for the losers, judge? Well, for our defendants, it's a life time at exotic Fort Leavenworth! And, for defense counsel Kaffee, that's right, it's a court martial! Yes, Johnny! After falsely accusing a highly decorated Marine officer of conspiracy and perjury, Lieutenant Kaffee will have a long and prosperous career teaching... typewriter maintenance at the Rocco Globbo School for Women! Thank you for playing "Should we or should we not listen to the advice of the galactically stupid!"" -- A Few Good Men [People who say Tom Cruse cannot act are just wrong.]
5. "What was in there man? Like, psychos?" -- "Psychos?! PSYCHOS?! Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them. I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!" -- -- From Dusk Till Dawn. [I like the idea that there could be a degree of crazy at which you burst into flames when sunlight hits you.]
6. "I'm sorry. Russ, look, I know this is your joint. I just... there's this girl. I love her, man. I love her, but she is driving me crazy! I can't sleep. I can't work. I quit the show. I totally phoned in that Dennis Quaid movie. I mean, it's like... God, it's almost like this Kabbalah crap doesn't even work!" -- Ocean's 12
7. "Everything else is just polishing the brass on the Titanic" -- Fight Club.
8. "Your're a dick." -- X-Men [I love that they fear he is a shapeshifter and this is how he proves he is really him. It solves a dilemma lightning fast with a joke. Whedon said this is the only line from his draft that remained intact. You can tell.]
9. "My name is William Blake. Perhaps you know my poetry. [he shoots them both with a revolver]." -- Dead Man [This is my favorite thing said before shooting someone].
10. "When will you learn that all my ideas are good ones?" -- "Well, that's funny. Because I thought that you going into the jungle by yourself, being chased by jaguars, lying to me to take you back to the palace were all really *bad* ideas." -- "Oh, yeah. Anything sounds bad when you say it with that attitude. " -- Emperor's New Grove
Do your own top ten list in the comments.