Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Free Form Comments (New Day)

[I am testing switching Free Form Comments (usually Friday) with Comics Out Posts (usually Wednesday) -- I think we will have better comics out discussions if people have 48 hours to get and read the things. Several readers backed me up on this in the comments to the previous Free Form Comments, and no one disagreed. Let me know if you do not like this.]

Say whatever you want to in the comments to this post -- random, off topic thoughts, ideas, suggestions, questions, recommendations, criticisms (which can be anonymous), surveys, introductions if you have never commented before, personal news, self-promotion, requests to be added to the blog roll and so on. If a week goes by and I have failed to add you to the blog roll TELL ME TO DO IT AGAIN, and KEEP TELLING ME UNTIL IT GETS DONE. I can be lazy about updating the non-post parts of this site.

ALSO. You can use this space to re-ask me questions you asked me before that I failed to answer because I was too busy (but now might not be). That is often the reason I fail to get back to people, and on a blog, after a few days, the comments thread dies and I just kind of forget about it. Let's use this space to fix that, because it does need to be fixed; I look like a jackass sometimes, leaving people hanging. I will TRY to respond to any questions here.

AND you can use this space to comment on posts that are old enough that no one is reading the comments threads anymore. For example, if you thought of a great quote for the great quote commonplace book, but now no one is reading that, you could put it here.You do not have to have a blogger account or gmail account to post a comment -- you can write a comment, write your name at the bottom of your comment like an e mail, and then post using the "anonymous" option.

WRITING FOR THIS BLOG. If you think your free form comment here might be better as its own post, but you do not want it to be public yet, email it to me. My email address is available on my blogger profile page. If I think it will work on this site, your post will be published here with your name in the title of the post. You can propose what you will, I am always looking for reviews of games, tv, movies, music and books.

10 comments:

David Golding said...

I rarely buy comics and rarely post comments, but I like the idea of holding back the Comics Out posts. Living in Australia, I don't usually get the comics you're writing about until one to two days later.

So, do you still feel me about All-Star Superman #9? I think every issue of it improves with the time until the next issue - and that's a lot of time! :-) Regarding the radioactive cloud solution, I think this highlights the arbitrariness of the super-powers. The Kryptonians go on a pseudo-Nietzschean power trip, but the true Superman's morality transcends his weakness or might.

Also, question: why aren't you reading Scott Pilgrim? You like comics, genre-bending, formal experimentation, fun, etc. Personally I think it's a lot more new and exciting than Casanova.

David Golding said...

Or even: "do you still feel meh about All-Star Superman #9?"

Christian O. said...

I love Casanova with all my heart, and still think it's the best comic around, but Scott Pilgrim is definitely second. It's just that great.

Also, any chance of seeing your thoughts on a couple of movies? Like, say, some of Del Toro's? Like Devil's Backbone.


And also: Psychonauts is free on GameTap.Com till the 28th of December. Even if you aren't an avid gamer, you should go get it. It's brilliant and everyone should own it. I've ranted about Tim Schafer a couple of times before, but I implore you: Get it and get it now. Even if you only play it 10 minutes a day; get it.

http://www.gametap.com/home/play/gameDetails/000475950

Anonymous said...

I don't get my comics until Friday anyway, so yippee from me. Happy Thanksgiving all you crazy Klockenites.

Mitch

Geoff Klock said...

David: I do still think the same about All Star Superman 9, but I have not really had time to think about it any more than I did that day, nor have I had a chance to re-read it. I will do what I can to get Scott Pilgrim.

Christian: I do not get that much of a chance to see movies. I will see Beowuilf and probably review it here. I am also thinking about doing an episode by episode look at something but I do not know what yet.

Mitch: thanks. I tend to pretend holidays do not exist here on the blog, but happy thanksgiving everyone.

Anonymous said...

love the blog, anybody living in the NYC area and need their apartment clean,please visit my website: www.rocketmaid.com . Click to my blog as well. Read the adventures of an intergalactic dirt crime fighter.

Streeborama said...

Happy Turkey Day, Dr. Klock. Switching the Free From Comments and the Comics Out post is a good idea. Although, I always enjoyed looking at everyone's lists on Wednesday to give me ideas on what to pick up on my own trip to the shop.

neilshyminsky said...

Re: Scott Pilgrim - if anyone is interested in reading my knee-jerk reactions, I've posted them to my own blog. And then my more developed response is posted here.

I like the series, and I think that O'Malley is managing the to weave the magically realist stuff into the story with increasing skill - it's no longer strange or surprising for characters to use warp doors or gain experience points - but it's veering much too far into bathos for me with this latest book. But there's more on that on my blog or if you follow that link... ;)

And I'm with Geoff on the latest AS Superman, too. If those clichés and platitudes were supposed to be somewho indicative of Superman's superior morality... I mean, ugh. Morrison has been able to do some fantastic stuff with very cheesy, very old Superman material. But this cheese was just rancid.

Anonymous said...

GEOFF!!!!

i totally agree that lost never misses a beat and is quality from start to finish, but you honestly dont have any sort of theory brewing in your noggin?

if not, i kinda know what you mean becasuse at somepoint in the second series my wife was like "whats that...." "whats he doing...." "whys that...." etc, and i was just like,i dont think you can watch it like that anymore, trying to connect every little nuance, just watch it, let it wash over you and it will make 100%sense in the end, but someone like you, who seems to be able to find sub contextual layers in episodes of Joey, i would have thought something was forming somewhere

on another TV related note, how come studio 60 died like it did, i know it died a slow death in the ratings, but am i the only one who thinks it an excellent way to spend 60 mins

Geoff Klock said...

no. Studio 60 was bad. You can put "Studio 60" into the blog search bar at the top to see what I said. And I am a die hard Sorkin fan.