Friday, November 16, 2007

Free Form Comments

Say whatever you want to in the comments to this post -- random, off topic thoughts, ideas, suggestions, questions, recommendations, criticisms (which can be anonymous), surveys, introductions if you have never commented before, personal news, self-promotion, requests to be added to the blog roll and so on. If a week goes by and I have failed to add you to the blog roll TELL ME TO DO IT AGAIN, and KEEP TELLING ME UNTIL IT GETS DONE. I can be lazy about updating the non-post parts of this site.

ALSO. You can use this space to re-ask me questions you asked me before that I failed to answer because I was too busy (but now might not be). That is often the reason I fail to get back to people, and on a blog, after a few days, the comments thread dies and I just kind of forget about it. Let's use this space to fix that, because it does need to be fixed; I look like a jackass sometimes, leaving people hanging. I will TRY to respond to any questions here.

AND you can use this space to comment on posts that are old enough that no one is reading the comments threads anymore. For example, if you thought of a great quote for the great quote commonplace book, but now no one is reading that, you could put it here.You do not have to have a blogger account or gmail account to post a comment -- you can write a comment, write your name at the bottom of your comment like an e mail, and then post using the "anonymous" option.

WRITING FOR THIS BLOG. If you think your free form comment here might be better as its own post, but you do not want it to be public yet, email it to me. My email address is available on my blogger profile page. If I think it will work on this site, your post will be published here with your name in the title of the post. You can propose what you will, I am always looking for reviews of games, tv, movies, music and books.

12 comments:

Geoff Klock said...

Should I put Comics Out on Friday and Free From Comments Wednesday? When I was in England Comics Out was on Friday because that was when I could get the books. Since coming back to the States I notice that conversation in the comics out posts has not been as detailed and I wonder if it is because by the time people get around to reading the comics the comics out post is a few posts down.

Unknown said...

Hi there, I sent an email about this but you might not have gotten it . I am starting a Meetup.com group for comics/graphic novels discussion and I would like to have you at the meetup to speak/discuss if you are interested. It's on Dec. 9 (sunday afternoon 2pm) and it is probably taking place either at Rocketship in brooklyn or Retreat in dumbo. Email me for more info, I would love to have you come by. Thanks in advance! -gary

Geoff Klock said...

I did not get the email, but this sounds awesome. I will e mail you now.

Geoff Klock said...

Gary -- your profile is blocked and I have no way to e mail you. E mail me at the address available on my blogger profile page -- let me know if it does not work.

Anonymous said...

Geoff,

I made a kinda-long post way down on my thoughts on how Unbreakable/Mystery Men, between the two of them, manage to do everything I would want a superhero movie to do. Combined, they are my #1 favorite superhero movie. Any feedback on that notion?

Also, since I didn't rise to your "high-noon" challenge on account of being out of town last Friday, I am bringing it today.

"Sky High." It's awesome! I await your rebuttal.

James said...

Geoff: One vote for comics out being moved to fridays; I get mine Thursday and rarely get to read them before Friday.

Marc Caputo said...

Make mine a vote for moving to Friday - I've let my blog slide for over a month and I don't comment as much anymore - one of the reasons is that by the time I get around to reading books, most of the discussion is already petered out. I know I would blog more often as well as participate in discussions on other blogs more frequently, more readily and with more confidence because I know I need a day or two to think about what I want to say in public.

Thanks for letting us weigh in on this!

Geoff Klock said...

Part of the problem with Free Form is I am not always up for the discussions when they come up. But I will say that I do not think you can combine movies like that. Especially not those too. So I am going to continue to hit Unbreakable for over-seriousness. Mystery Men had some funny bits -- the thing about Lance Brockman wearing glasses so he could not be captain Amazing is INSPIRED -- but a lot of it falls pretty flat. Unbreakable and Mystery Men at best capture a fringe superhero sub-genre, but they are too minor to get so high on a list of superhero films. As for Sky High I do not remember it that well, except to say I remember that I hated it. I vaguely remember that the central conflict was bad -- the kid did not develop powers but then all of a sudden he did. You can't focus the first two acts of your screenplay on a conflict that resolves itself of its own accord. That gives your main characters nothing to do but whine. Plus the main "gang" was reall lame. They should have made that movie about Bruce Campbell, Dave Foley, and Kevin McDonald, cause they were the only thing that stood out.

At this rate we will switch out Comics Out posts and Free Form Comments

Anonymous said...

I think I disagree on what you say about all three of those movies. I will do a blog entry on my blog about them, maybe. I feel I can't let this go, because I am, like, totally right and you are way wrong.

Marc Caputo said...

News from Wizard World Texas

Grant Morrison will remain on Batman throughout 2008 and beyond.

So I'm thinking - man, those 6 issues will be awesome.

No seriously, folks - that's good news.

Anonymous said...

GEOFF!!!

as lost is hopefully back on our screens soon, whats your lost theory.

if you cant sum it up, then do a lost theory haiku as shown below

people stuck on island
man has borne timeless evil
numbers linked to the sky

and "marc caputo" ill take morrisons 6 issues of batman over his zero issues of wildcats or the authority

Geoff Klock said...

Fpfp: right now my only theory on lost is that is is crazy well written and that the third season finale was one of the smartest moves I have seen from a TV show in a while.