Saturday, June 14, 2008

Third Rock from the Sun: Shatner and Lithgow (Commonplace Book)

Scott reminded me of on one of my favorite shows, Third Rock from the Sun, and I found one of my favorite moments on it on the YouTube.



The key to the joke (forgive me if you already know this, but not everyone does) is that a young Shatner starred in an episode of The Twilight Zone in which he saw a creature on the wing of a plane he was one (and, of course, no one believed him). Then, many years later, when the Twilight Zone was remade as a movie, this episode was incorporated, with Lithgow in the Shatner role.

I think I watch too much TV, and so I find it very satisfying when my useless TV knowledge comes in handy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, do you remember the one where Tommy started a band which prompted a scene where Lithgow homaged his role as the hellfire and brimstone preacher from Footloose?

Geoff Klock said...

YES! That was good.

Andy said...

There's a great side by side comparison of the TV show and movie on youtube
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yQkngCMZUGU