Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Free Form Comments

Say whatever you want to in the comments to this post -- random, off topic thoughts, ideas, suggestions, questions, recommendations, criticisms (which can be anonymous), surveys, introductions if you have never commented before, personal news, self-promotion, requests to be added to the blog roll and so on. If a week goes by and I have failed to add you to the blog roll TELL ME TO DO IT AGAIN, and KEEP TELLING ME UNTIL IT GETS DONE. I can be lazy about updating the non-post parts of this site. Remember these comments can be directed at all the readers, not just me.

ALSO. You can use this space to re-ask me questions you asked me before that I failed to answer because I was too busy (but now might not be). That is often the reason I fail to get back to people, and on a blog, after a few days, the comments thread dies and I just kind of forget about it. Let's use this space to fix that, because it does need to be fixed; I look like a jackass sometimes, leaving people hanging. I will TRY to respond to any questions here.

AND you can use this space to comment on posts that are old enough that no one is reading the comments threads anymore. For example, if you thought of a great quote for the great quote commonplace book, but now no one is reading that, you could put it here.You do not have to have a blogger account or gmail account to post a comment -- you can write a comment, write your name at the bottom of your comment like an e mail, and then post using the "anonymous" option.

WRITING FOR THIS BLOG. If you think your free form comment here might be better as its own post, but you do not want it to be public yet, email it to me. My email address is available on my blogger profile page. If I think it will work on this site, your post will be published here with your name in the title of the post. You can propose what you will, I am always looking for reviews of games, tv, movies, music and books.

If you think what you have to say -- new topic or comment on an existing topic -- would be better to hear than to read, use the CALL ME button on the toolbar on the right.

13 comments:

Patrick Sanders said...

Have you seen Redbelt yet?

Christian O. said...

Hard Candy starring Ellen Page and Patrick Wilson is insanely uncomfortable to watch. Very effective. Good film, but just horrific.

Sympathies shift and realign themselves every five minutes, depending on which character has the dominance in the scene.

nicholas reed said...

Having just seen the film ONCE tonight for the first time: I loved it. Beautiful music, a simple shooting style, and characters that behaved like normal, rational adults... Amazing.

sdelatovic said...

I was struck with sadness to find, as far as I understand, that last week's episode of 30 Rock is the last of the season.

That last episode was brilliant.

"Caps ... nothing but caps."

Paul said...

I guess last week's 30 Rock sort of had a season finale feel. Liz's wants to adopt a kid and Jack is going to help her, so that'll probably be a major plot thread for Season Three. I laughed so hard after Brodrick spilt the "Gay Gas" going for the pens, and Jack turned to him and said, "Let's do this."

BTW, for any interested BSG fans, I wrote up a piece on my blog comparing the 12 Cylons to the Greek gods. http://nerdheartgeek.blogspot.com/2008/05/of-gods-and-cylons.html

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm...

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

We've noticed that customers who have purchased or rated books by Geoff, Klock have also purchased
On Guerrilla Gardening: A Handbook for Gardening Without Boundaries by Richard Reynolds. For this reason, you might like to know that On Guerrilla Gardening: A Handbook for Gardening Without Boundaries will be released on May 27, 2008. You can pre-order yours at a savings of $8.84...

Jason said...

"Guerilla Gardening" is a typo. It should read "Gorilla Grodd."

Since people are posting about movies, thought I'd mention I finally saw Iron Man. I thought it was entertaining and the story pretty much hung together, but ... I don't know. It was just *so* predictable. And this is speaking as someone who doesn't generally think about what's coming. I just tend to let movies wash over me and not try to second-guess. But in this case every turn was SO broadly telegraphed, I couldn't help but start thinking, every other scene, "Ah, I see where THIS is going ..."

Geoff Klock said...

VoE -- not yet. Soon.

Christian -- do you want to review it for us proper?

Stefan Delatovic -- I actually did not watch the last episode of 30 Rock because I have not loved the second season. Maybe I should just finish it out...

Paul -- thanks. I am finishing season one of BSG now.

J Liang: HILARIOUS. Who is this crazy person that caused Amazon to do that?

Christian O. said...

I'd love to, but really, I'd probably only scraping the surface. If I can find the time (I garantee nothing), I'll give you a somewhat quick little review of it (everything from the horrific demasculizing scene of one of the protagonists to the fact that the colors turn dark, when one of them gets angry etc.)

Christian O. said...

I really feel bad about not being able to contribute more, but either I doubt my ability or I simply don't have the time. I'll definitely look into it.

Unknown said...

Hard Candy: a pretty good little horror/suspense movie. I dug it.

Once: a beautiful, moving "musical" about two people and their relationship. That scene in the music store when they sang "Falling Slowly" brought tears to my eyes.

30 Rock: Wha?! You don't like this season? I could admit to the possibility that it hasn't completely reached the heights of some of the best season 1 episodes, but it's been solidly hilarious every time around. That Amadeus spoof with Chris Parnell reprising his Dr. Spaceman role was so funny, as was the episode where the guy from Cleveland showed up again, or Liz's ex-boyfriend became a local hero. Man, I love that show.

Geoff, have you seen Charlie Wilson's War? I don't remember you mentioning it, but I know you're a fan of Aaron Sorkin, so I figured you wouldn't miss it. I watched it last night, and I found it fascinating, funny, and intelligent. I'm surprised it didn't get more attention, because it was a pretty damn good movie. And while I'm not a Sorkin expert (I barely watched any of The West Wing), it seemed like his classic style, with a lot of fast, entertaining dialogue full of political details and lots of information. I loved the bit where they managed to convince Israel, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and Pakistan to team up to supply weapons to Afghanistan. Tom Hanks and Philip Seymour Hoffman were quite good, and Julia Roberts' role was kept to a minimum, so good times all around.

sara d. reiss said...

kickin' ass and takin names...BOO YAH!!!!!

Streeborama said...

I defy you all to resist downloading just one of Ken Dodge's Most Excellent Desktops Wallpapers!