Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Free Form Comments

Say whatever you want to in the comments to this post -- random, off topic thoughts, ideas, suggestions, questions, recommendations, criticisms (which can be anonymous), surveys, introductions if you have never commented before, personal news, self-promotion, requests to be added to the blog roll and so on. If a week goes by and I have failed to add you to the blog roll TELL ME TO DO IT AGAIN, and KEEP TELLING ME UNTIL IT GETS DONE. I can be lazy about updating the non-post parts of this site. Remember these comments can be directed at all the readers, not just me.

ALSO. You can use this space to re-ask me questions you asked me before that I failed to answer because I was too busy (but now might not be). That is often the reason I fail to get back to people, and on a blog, after a few days, the comments thread dies and I just kind of forget about it. Let's use this space to fix that, because it does need to be fixed; I look like a jackass sometimes, leaving people hanging. I will TRY to respond to any questions here.

AND you can use this space to comment on posts that are old enough that no one is reading the comments threads anymore. For example, if you thought of a great quote for the great quote commonplace book, but now no one is reading that, you could put it here.You do not have to have a blogger account or gmail account to post a comment -- you can write a comment, write your name at the bottom of your comment like an e mail, and then post using the "anonymous" option.

WRITING FOR THIS BLOG. If you think your free form comment here might be better as its own post, but you do not want it to be public yet, email it to me. My email address is available on my blogger profile page. If I think it will work on this site, your post will be published here with your name in the title of the post. You can propose what you will, I am always looking for reviews of games, tv, movies, music and books.

If you think what you have to say -- new topic or comment on an existing topic -- would be better to hear than to read, use the CALL ME button on the toolbar on the right.

4 comments:

sdelatovic said...

I'm paralysed in anticipation of the LOST finale.

Anonymous said...

Saw Indy again... I gotta say, without the burden of expectation, it's even better the second time around.

Ping33 said...

posted this on a message board elsewhere... has value here too :)

Elite TV Shows, Top 10 TV shows worth watching...


... no matter what.
Inspired by snobs who 'hate tv'


1) The Wire - The best cop drama in any medium. Better than any book, better than any movie, better than anything.

2) First Person - Errol Morris' FAR too short lived Documentary series. Every episode is compelling especially the ones on topics you think you're not interested in.

3) Twin Peaks - David Lynch does TV. Starts as a quirky mystery... ends up as a haunting surreal psychodrama. Metatextual of the medium while shattering its possibilities.

4) South Park - At its best it's the best social parody series of all time. The quick/timely writing keeps it almost as on-topic as SNL or the nightly news, but with the benefit of animation. At its worst, they do a damn fine fart joke.

5) The Prisoner - Dated yes, but still as fascinating as ever. Where it's cheesy is where it created the cliche.

6) The Twilight Zone - Ditto

7) I love Lucy - Ditto

8) Cheers - For my money (and i know this is a serious matter of personal taste): Cheers is the best traditional sit-com. Funnier than The Mary Tyler Moore show. Smarter than most others and with a perfectly-cast archetypal group of characters I can watch the early seasons ad-nauseum. Big ups to Jim L Brooks who's Taxi is an honorable mention for me and who also owns the #9 spot.

9) The Simpsons - I started bitching about the decline in quality around season 9 or 10, with the 'Homer goes to NY' Ep being my mendoza line. That said: They still have the ability to crank out a classic, and the classics are SO GOOD.

10) What Ever I'm Watching/care about now - To me, one of the best things about TV is its serialized nature. My Wife and my Dad hate me because I figure out the plot 10 minutes into the movie/show. On the rare occasion when I am surprised by a long burning plot, the answers are generally less interesting than the ones I imagined at the outset. That's why I think nothing is better than being in the midst of a mystery... Wondering what's happening on Lost, Thinking about alien invasion in the middle of the X-Flies, or waiting to see who gets capped in The Wire... Nothing is better than standing on the open road, with the wind to your back, and endless possibilities in front of you.

Streeborama said...

Has everyone caught up on Satacracy 88? No one seems to be talking about it here - yet it is easily one of the finest superhero-ish serial dramas ever made. I enjoy it more and more upon rewatching as the story and themes are so layered that more is revealed upon repeated viewings.

And I agree with Ping 33 - the Prisoner never gets old.