Friday, May 30, 2008
Me at the Fashion and Fantasy Conference at the Met
Thanks to Peter Coogan, I will be hosting a discussion with Iron Man's costume designers at a conference on June 22nd at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in conjunction with the Superheroes: Fashion and Fantasy exhibit. This is good because
3. The MET!
Crazy exciting. Peter Coogan is my new hero. Here is the offical thing from the MET
The Costume Institute Hosts Panels and Lectures on Superhero Costumes in Comics
When: Sunday, June 22, 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
What: Superheroes: Fashion and Fantasy – Sunday at the Met
This all-day event of lectures and panel discussions brings together leading international scholars, critics, and designers to discuss the world of costumes and comics. Themes include the appropriation of the uniform, the adaptation of superhero costumes for the screen, the creation of modern mythologies, and the role of the superhero as metaphor in contemporary society. Free with Museum admission; reservations and tickets not required. The exhibition, Superheroes: Fashion and Fantasy, which has been seen by more than 100,000 visitors in its first three weeks, runs through September 1, 2008.
Who: The program, hosted by Peter Coogan, Director of The Institute for Comics Studies, is presented in conjunction with Superheroes: Fashion and Fantasy curated by Andrew Bolton, Curator, The Costume Institute. The schedule includes:
- Peter Coogan, "E Pluribus Unitard: Notes Toward a Theory of Superhero Costuming"
- Writers Panel: Danny Fingeroth (author, Disguised as Clark Kent), Richard Reynolds (author, Superheroes: A Modern Mythology), Paul Levitz (President, DC Comics)
- Scott Bukatman (Associate Professor, Art and Art History, Stanford University), "The Boys in the Hoods: The Costumed Vigilante as Urban Dandy"
- Costume Designers Panel: Geoff Klock (Assistant Professor, Borough of Manhattan Community College), Adi Granov and Phil Saunders (costume designers, Iron Man)
- Artists Panel: Alex Ross (comic artist), Stanford Carpenter (Assistant Professor, Visual & Critical Studies, School of the Art Institute of Chicago), Arlen Schumer (comic book art historian, Dynamic Duo Studios)
- Michael Uslan (executive producer, The Dark Knight), "The Gods of Greece, Rome, and Egypt Still Exist - Only Today They Wear Spandex & Capes!"
Where: The Grace Rainey Rogers Auditorium
The Metropolitan Museum of Art
Fifth Avenue at 82nd Street
Contact: Nancy Chilton or Elyse Topalian, 212-570-3951, or firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information and a schedule of events, please consult the online Calendar at www.metmuseum.org
The exhibition is made possible by Giorgio Armani.
Additional support is provided by Condé Nast.
If you are in New York, save the hell out of that date.
CLICK HERE for the Met's page about the event.
It also looks like the panel I am hosting will be joined by the guy responsible for Mystique in the X-Men films, in addition to the creators of the Iron Man armor.
This is going to rawk, as Fraction would say.